23 July 2010

Visit Some of My Favorite Utah Shops


Just spent some time in Utah. Thought I would share 10 fun spots I have visited and would recommend.

1.       Deseret Industries Thrift Stores – locations: downtown, Sugar House, American Fork, Provo. Great big warehouse-like stores. My favorite areas are the house wares, furniture and for some reason the holiday decoration section.

2.       Les Madeleines Bakery and Café – downtown SLC. We had a great lunch, the most delicious ham and cheese and fries I have ever had and washed it down with a lavender lemonade that was so refreshing. Then we indulged in sweets including the lemon tart, chocolate cupcake, carrot cake cookie.  The only disappointment was that they were closing for two-week summer holiday the day after we arrived in Utah.

3.       Thrift Town Thrift Store – Brickyard (33rd south & 13th east). I was really impressed with this store. I haven’t visited there in many, many years. The selection was great for clothes, frames, furniture and more. The kids clothing section was impressive!

4.       Granny’s Drive-In  – Heber. Good burgers and fries and famous for their huge selection of shakes. Sitting out front in the cool mountain breeze was lovely!

5.       Quilter’s Haven – I did a quick quilt tutorial with my aunt in Davis County. She took me to this fantastic quilt shop in Bountiful. I was really inspired by how cutting edge the shop was. They have the most fantastic fabrics. They also have all the coolest on trend accessories, patterns and inspirations. I don’t get blown away by fabric stores too often, but I can say I was really impressed.

6.       Sundance Catalog Store (Sugar House or 123rd South just east of 1-15) – I have found some of the most incredible deals at the Sundance Catalog Store. I made the mistake of passing up a pair of Frye boots for $50 a few years ago and still regret it. I also bought a fantastic pair of Frye sandals from there years ago that got rave reviews wherever I went. They have great clothing, shoes, jewelry and house wares.

7.     DownEast Home and Clothing (13th East, 123rd just east of 1-15, Center and State St. in Orem) – Found a candleholder I loved made out of old barn wood and some other fun house ware items. In the end I ended up buying a cute dress. Big stores with big selection, a little different in every store.

8.     Arctic Circle – All over the Wasatch Front. Great shakes, fantastic fry sauce, good food…old school Utah.

9.     Home Fabrics – Orem (University Parkway just south of State Street) I used to love this shop when it was $2 fabric store, across the street from its current location. They have an amazing selection of interior design fabrics. I fall in love with several bolts every time I go it. My mom and I did our shopping for her new headboard here. The fabric was $5.99/yard. Fantastic deal.

10.   Lani Kai Hawaiian Barbecue Grill (1072 West South Jordan Parkway) – Utah definitely has a good Polynesian influence and large Poly community. Lani Kai is a great place for an old school Polynesian plate lunch. Check out the Fry Bread for dessert. Mmmm.


Photo: This darling pendant is available on Etsy from seller IvieRidge for only $10.50! So cute if you have any connections to the Beehive State!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...