We're big on spinach salad around these parts. I like the nutritive value of the spinach and it requires no chopping or tearing of leaves. Time savings! And this salad is totally vinegar and fat free. Even the four-year-old loves the salad. Here's my latest version which I can whip up in about two minutes with all the ingredients on hand. It's fast, easy and delicious. Here are the quick and easy steps.
1) Throw pre-washed spinach in a pretty bowl.
2) Cut three slices of red onion, then quarter each & throw it on top if the greens.
3) Open a can of mandarin oranges and drain most of the juice off. Dump as many as you like on the salad and let a bit of juice fall in as well. This becomes your dressing.4) Peel one crisp apple, slice it up then cut each slice into thirds. Put in a bowl and toss with a couple of teaspoons of fresh lemon juice to keep them from turning brown. Add to salad.
5) Toss in a bunch of cranberries.
6) You can also add walnuts, almonds or pinenuts if you like. The Man doesn't like nuts, so I go without. But I can imagine quite liking walnuts with this salad. I'll have to try it soon.
You're done and have a very colorful, delicious salad that will brighten the dinner table in any season. The flavor of the lemon-spiked sweet apples, cranberries and oranges combine perfectly with the red onion and spinach for a rich, crisp flavor. Enjoy. And if you try it, I'd love to hear how you tweak it to personalize it to your own tastes.