28 September 2011

Being Gracious & Glad For Others

Cobalt Teal Inspirational Sweet HeART Wall Hanging Block  Authentic by Jodi Ohl

I've been thinking a lot about graciousness and showing support to other's recently. I have been the recipient of a beautiful abundance of sweet, joyful, loving greetings and words of support from many dear friends and family since we announced our engagement a month ago. I can't tell you how much that has meant to me. It meant the world to me when one said, "Okay, let me know what I can do!" another said "What can I contribute to?" and another said, "Oh I can't wait to help you plan your wedding! I am so excited for you!"

To know that there are people out there who will give of their love, time and energy to support you as you take a big step in your life is most meaningful. In fact, thinking about it right now is bringing a tear to my eye. I see your faces and hear your sweet words again in my ears.

Over the past months I have seen babies born, marriages happen, new jobs and other reasons to celebrate in the lives of friends around me. I am always so very impressed when I see people go out of their way to add to the joy and merriment with their love and kindness. I am particularly moved and impressed when I see people who have every reason to be envious put their own feelings of aside and with all their hearts wish others well as they see them receive the exact blessing that this kind-hearted soul has for so deeply longed for.

I have been thinking a lot about an associate who was so joyful and kind and sweet to me when she heard I was engaged. She would so love to be married and has been a single woman for many decades now. I know she celebrates and loves in this same way for other's new babies, although she never had a chance to have her own.

Sadly as we move in and out of our experiences with others, this abundant attitude is not easily achievable for everyone - or perhaps for any of us all the time. Some people cannot wish another well when they have a baby because they want one so desperately themselves. Some cannot wish a friend well when she meets a really lovely man because they themselves are not currently in a relationship. Some despise going to weddings because they have not yet had their own. Others can only be jealous for another's awards and successful career or wealth. While we cannot control how other's feel and act, I feel sad for any of us who finds ourselves at times in these places.

I have thought a lot about my supportive kind friend, and other supportive kind friends and family and the support and loving kindness I have seen showered on others. I have resolved even more that I will be full of good wishes and love for others. There is never a good reason to hold back or to allow envy or shame or despair or even disapproval keep us from being like my friend - beautiful, loving, caring, supportive and a shining example to everyone around her. I admire her and hold her dear to my heart as I write and dedicate this post to her. Thank you dear friend for your sweet, touching example. You have changed me for the better.

I have to share a bit about this awesome piece of art above. It is titled Cobalt Teal Inspiration Sweet HeART Wall Hanging from the Etsy shop Lucy Sweet Lucy. Gorgeous, isn't it. The artist is  Jodi Ohl and you can read all about her at her blog Sweet Repeats. And yes, she takes custom orders so if you want something that fits perfectly into your home decor she's willing and able to make that happen.

I'll be back later this morning with a quick tip that could save you lots of money. Have a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...