Have you notice the sun is coming up later and going down much earlier each night. For some reason this year it’s taking me by surprise. The seasons have changed and winter for the northern hemisphere is coming. For some it means a drastic change in temperatures and rocky weather. For everyone it means more time indoors, wearing more clothing and beating the winter blues.
Make the most of this winter by planning in advance to beat the blahs and make it a wonderful, fulfilling season for you, your friends and family. Here are 10 easy tips for staying busy and cheerful all winter long.
1. Make your bed first thing in the morning. You’ll have accomplished something. You’ll feel good and your room will look put together and bring you peace.
2. Read something inspiring every morning and evening. Your soul will be fed and refreshed and you go about your day with a better attitude and mind more open to the possibilities of your life. Make a list of inspiring books to read, then dedicate time to curling up and reading during the evening or before bed.
3.Journal every morning. Listen to your heart and you’ll be guided through your day. Write down your thoughts. They will lead you to what you want to do with your life.
4. Get exercise. Go to the gym, join an indoor sports team or dance for 20 minutes with your kids in the living room. Anything to get the good vibrations going in body will work.
5. Make a calendar of things to look forward to all winter. Holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, and other special occasions. Make a plan to celebrate in small and very meaningful ways. Celebrate anything unique and fun you can come up with.
6. Show gratitude. Every day look for things to be thankful for. Write them down on a piece of cardstock on the fridge.
7. Plan a creative project or take a class that feeds your creativity. Do it with friends. You’ll stay busy and engaged and interacting with a variety of people.
8. Spend time outside. Get the weather appropriate clothing and when it’s practical and possible spend 30 minute to an hour out of doors. This is one of the healthiest things you can do and it will refresh you. Try an outdoor winter hobby.
9. Do good stuff - serve others. Send little surprises in the mail to friends. Drop something off on a friend’s doorstep. Send a cheerful card. Find ways to volunteer in your community..
10. Light candles & drink cozy warm drinks. Denmark has very long, DARK winters. When I lived there I was charmed by the use of candles everywhere and how it gave everything a warm cozy look. Buy some great teas or hot chocolates to enjoy. Create a warm, inviting, soulful environment for yourself.
With a little planning this could be the best, most enjoyable winter of your life. Make plans now to avoid the blahs and enjoy the bliss of a beautiful, well-planned, inspired winter!