06 February 2014

Scary Idea: Cleaning The Kitchen Once A Day


We're trying something pretty terrifying at our house right now. It's a little plan called Clean The Kitchen Just Once A Day. I have to say it's a little unsettling. In order for me to focus more on my goals we're attempting to cut down time eats like fully cleaning the kitchen three times a day after meals.

Now we try to just make sure that the dishwasher is emptied as soon as it is washed. Then everyone can rinse their dishes and put them in the sink neatly or even better put them right into the dishwasher. Everyone is doing a little better at cleaning up after themselves and I have a lot more free time on my hands. This is exciting.

I will say it gets a little frustrating when it does get messy or when other people make dinner and do not clean it up right away, but I'm learning to let go and just let it be a little bit more. Do I want to have a messy kitchen, no way, but it does not have to be sparkling every minute of the day. We rarely have people over and we are all busy so trying to do a little throughout the day and then one big clean up, while something we are still adjusting to, makes a lot of sense for us.

We have a pretty small kitchen and it can get messy fast, but this plan is actually forcing us all to do a better job keeping things up a little more during the day and making sure that dishes are rinsed out immediately, which avoids a lot of sticky, dried on junk to deal with later. While I'd love to spend my day being a clean freak about my house, I have bigger fish to fry. I need time to take care of other mission critical items on my personal goal list and for the family as well.

So for now, it's so far so good. It's not perfect, but things weren't perfect before when the kitchen was usually clean. So it's a trade off (hello, change!) but I think it's a good one for now. I'm curious to know how others handle their daily kitchen clean up. Would our plan drive you completely bonkers or do you have a similar plan to keep the cleanliness up and the workload down?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...