26 February 2013

Doing It My Way Is Just Fine

image via

I like to do a good bit of studying before I approach a new challenge or project. Sometimes I spend too much time learning and not enough time doing. I think it's quite possible that I am not the only one who does that. Thinking about doing something can be much more comfortable than actually doing it. But I'm working on that and improving all the time.

I have two goals I have been very focused on lately and I am working on them daily. I am having progress and I am excited and motivated. Things are going well. I have found my way and am moving forward. This is great. This should be great. This should be enough to make me feel elated.

And yet, I keep catching that little tape recorder in my head that is telling me that I'm not doing it right. I am not doing it exactly like that reporter in the online article, the self-help book author, the "For Dummies" writer, the fitness guru and expert on TV said it should be done. Maybe it would all be happening bigger and faster if I did it 100% the way they said it should be done. Maybe I'm not doing it well. Why can't I just do it their way. What's wrong with me. I'll never be successful.

And then my spirit shouts inside my little heart, Wait a minute! Whoa! Stop those crazy thoughts girl. What you're doing is taking all the great suggestions other people have put out there and making them work for you. Those "experts" don't even know you. They don't know your life, your heart, your circumstances, your challenges or exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

You are NOT failing. You are NOT doing it wrong. You're progressing. You're using all these tools to help you have success. That is the point. That is great. That is right. That is perfect just the way it is. Just go with it and enjoy the journey.

This is my journey. This is my path to success. This is my work, my success, my progress. I am the one making this happen and I should enjoy the process and all the fruits of my labors. So I'm shutting down that loud tape recorder that so often tries to derail our progress. I'm yanking the batteries out of that tape recorder, pulling out the cassette and cutting all the ribbon up in shreds.

I am going to do this my way and keep enjoying every bit of my success. I am continuing my march down my path in my life. I am the one who knows who I am, where I want to go and what success means for me. I am the one doing ALL the work to make it happen...to make it happy.

Have you ever duked it out with your inner tape recorder? What made you yank it's batteries and throw it against the way. How did that change you?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...