10 June 2011

The Basic Baking Ingredients Box

ultimate basic baking box

I come from a family of people who really love to be efficient. If you ride in the car with anyone in my family you will watch them calculate the most efficient, direct routes anywhere you want to go. Being efficient, not wasting time, seems to be a family trait. Looking back I can definitely see that in the way my paternal grandparents lived. I think their mantra might have been "quit screwing around the get the work done." They were farmers and you can imagine how this agenda might've been helping in getting chores twice every day, harvesting crops, dealing with broken machinery and motivating children (aka farm hands).

I find myself constantly calculating in my mind more efficient ways to cook, do laundry, make the bed, clean the house, drive around town, organize a closet and on it goes. A couple of years ago, tired of walking back and forth from my kitchen counter workspace to the pantry shelves for baking ingredients I decided to put together a baking basics box with all the ingredients one would need for - you guessed it! - basic baking.

  • baking powder
  • baking soda
  • salt
  • vanilla
  • brown sugar
  • granulated sugar
  • powdered sugar
  • oil
  • tapioca (for thickening fruit juices)
  • baking cocoa
This way when I decide to bake I only need the two large flour & white sugar bags and this box and I am good to go - ONE trip. If I need any of a variety of chocolate chips, coconut or nuts, they are organized together in another box. It makes prepping and cleaning up so much easier and really cuts down on trips across the kitchen for the next ingredient.

This is efficiency and organization that really works for me. It you try it, let me know. I'll be back here later this morning with a quick, fun post. Hope your weekend is already off to a good start. Thanks for being here!

-this post is linked to Weekend Bloggy Party at Serenity Now

2 comments:

Rivki Locker said...

I came across your post on Serenity Now. What a great strategy. I'm definitely going to work on assembling a baking box. This will be great for my daughters too. They are 11 years old (twins) and they love to bake. Assembling the ingredients is always the most challenging part. This will make it SO much easier. Thanks for sharing!

Jenn said...

This is such a great idea! Now that we're renovating our kitchen, I'm all about ways to make it more efficient and better organized. This is now at the top of my list :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...