29 April 2010

Get on UP and Write it DOWN


Last night, just as I was getting all nestled in my bed, cozy and warm, a great idea came to me. I've spent the past few weeks really working (in a fun way) to reawaken my creative spirit. I have read books, browsed lots of magazines, clipped inspirations sheets, watched some inspiring shows, bought a good used bulletin board from the thrift store for a new inspiration board, journaled, visited museums, antique stores, design shops and big box stores. I've taken photos, sketched things and stared intently.

So when a good idea came to me just as I was about to fall asleep, Wayne W. Dyer came to my mind. He says inspiration comes to you in the quiet of the night. He's not the only one who says that. I've heard it from religious leaders and many other people who share from their experiences with inspiration. It's difficult for inspiration to speak when we are driving in crowded traffic, in a noisy office, watching TV, wearing headphones or constantly listening to music or playing with our phones. Great inspiration comes when we silence the world around us and allow our minds to relax.

I got out of bed, went to my office and grabbed a few sheets of paper and sat down on the couch to sketch out the pictures in my head and write down every word that was circling them. Then I went back to bed and curled up for a great night's sleep. Interestingly enough,  the first person I spoke to this morning told me about waking up to ideas about a book and sitting down sketching out the idea. This was an idea that had been percolating for a while, that keeps coming back. I think those ideas are the ones we're meant to have our greatest successes with.

Everyone once in a while I will go through my inspiration and ideas book and recognize that I have sketched out the same idea several times over the years, almost identically with a few new tweaks each time. When I see this, I know it's an idea I need to pursue.

I have almost always carried a notebook with me just in case inspirations hits during the day. You never know when it can happen. But when it happens, act. Do something, write it down, move it forward, sketch it out and see what can come of it. These are our most original creations, our opportunities to express our one-of-a-kind selves in this world.

I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with last night's idea. Who knows what could come of it, but it sounds fun and I have the resources to do it.

1 comment:

life with the wigingtons said...

Can't wait to see what you create!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...