27 April 2010

Book Review -- Downtown Chic


When I arrived home late last night I had two packages waiting for me. Expecting shipment  number two of my Spring Wardrobe update, I was pleased to see that it was actually my books from Amazon. It was awfully late but I couldn't resist -- I read every page and viewed every great photo in Downtown Chic before I went to bed. This book has been all over the blog world, so there are some of you who are well acquainted, but for those who haven't seen it, here are my thoughts.


I was anticipating that this book would be filled with photos that would knock my inspiration socks off. Yes there are some of those. I wanted to know what it was really like to buy a dilapidated building in NYC and make it something jaw-dropping. I got a bit of a sense of the stress, creativity, flexibility AND MONEY involved. I enjoyed the Novogratz's laid-back approach and attitude about life.


Here are the three most powerful things I walked away with:
1) there is a fantastic essay, by Anonymous, on page 156 that speaks to me completely about how kids should be raised in this world.


2) there is still a lot of great creativity and creation to be done in this world and there is room for everyone to bring their unique style, feel and perspective to the world.  I don't want to be the Novogratz family, but I connect with the sense they are living their life.


3) and lastly it's our job to be part of that. To develop our talents and creativity to bring to the world what we were created to. And I want to be a part of that every day. I don't want to live someone else's life, someone else's expectation of who I am and who I should be.


Last night, in the late night quiet, it came to me very clearly that no one knows better who I am, what I am do to, what my loves, talents and callings are more than me. No one knows my dreams, visions, and goals better than me. I see my future, I know what it looks like, I know how I feel, dress, eat and work with others in that realm. I love that realm and I am trying to live it every day.


There's no one who knows better or should know how to be you than YOU! Listen to that inner voice, let it guide you, don't get discouraged by other people's expectations, demands and ideas about who you are. What do they know?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...