I have heard two inspiring talks recently about helping the poor and needy. It's actually been on my mind for a few months now. I've been wanting to find practical ways that my family can help the poor and needy.
It's easy to feel overwhelmed when one tries to consider how they can affect the tide of poverty in the world. What can one person do in the face of millions suffering?
That has been on my mind quite a bit. Our last name is not Gates or Zuckerberg. We don't have $25 mil to give to our favorite charities. But we can do something. Here are a few things we can do or are doing.
1) Donate the costs of one day's meals each month to our church to feed others.
2) Pay tithing. Donate 1/10 of our income to our church for charitable purposes.
3) Help out at the food pantry. Go & work there for a few hours each month.
4) Donate used goods to true charity thrift stores.
5) Make things to donate to charity. (winter hats, toiletries kits, etc.)
6) Gather items for the needy from friends & family. A great holiday activity.
7) Keep a coin jar that gets donated when it's full.
8) Recycle soda cans and plastic bottles then donate the refund.
9) Volunteer during the holiday season to provide gifts for a needy family.
10) Have a yard sale and donate the proceeds to charity.
These are all fairly simple things that almost anyone can do to have an impact on the life of someone in need. I've been trying to work in service to others into our schedule every week. It's been a great experience to go to the food pantry and help sweet people fill their food orders. I was really happy to get to take The Bug with me last week. Great place to learn lessons of gratitude for all our blessings.
I'd love to add more ideas to this list. Add your ideas in the comments below.